Re: [Gm2] ncurses (also: what about swig)

From: gaius
Subject: Re: [Gm2] ncurses (also: what about swig)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 04:16:54 -0500

Dragiša Durić <address@hidden> writes:

>> Transforming swig interfaces into Modula-2 could be done - I guess
>> we would need a dynamic loader module which loads up the shared
>> library and another module which marshals parameters to the shared
>> library.
>
> SWIG usually creates several files on client side. IMO, it's clumsy
> probably because module paradigm is strange idea to lots of
> languages, esp.from C family. Once types are mapped I think it's
> pretty straightforward for Modula-2 clients.. Complications in
> approach are possible with languages lke Modula-3 with elaborate
> type systems, but surely not with Modula-2.

Hi,

yes indeed the marshaling of the parameters would be pretty near a
noop.  Maybe ARRAY OF CHAR would need to be transformed slightly - but
this is trivial.  I guess the changes are probably best made to swig -
in fact the small amount of work necessary for a large gain makes it
quite an attractive proposition.