[Gm2] Extended opaque

From: Chris Lilley
Subject: [Gm2] Extended opaque
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 15:49:45 +0200

Hello,

GM2 extends PIM and ISO Modula-2, allowing an opaque type to be any type rather
than requiring it to be a pointer.

It seems to me that this is a good, type-safe extensio very much in the spirit
of Modula-2. But, its a compiler-specific extension.

Was this added because it was an experiment, or to see if it worked, or because
this feature should really have been in the standardized language?

Are others using this feature?

I recently made a module with a fully opaque type, then backed it out because I
didn't want to depend on compiler specifics. But the resulting exposed,
semi-opaque type seems less satisfactory to me.

I would be glad of thoughts or guidance from others on this feature.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG