[Gm2] debugging Modula-2

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] debugging Modula-2
Date: 17 Nov 2008 12:06:53 +0000

Hi John,

I've just had to fix gdb so that it can debug
gm2/gm2-libs-iso/WholeConf.mod, in particular gdb attempted to go into an
infinite recursive loop when resolving:

  ScanClass =  (* Values of this type are used to classify input to
  finite state scanners *)
  (
    padding,   (* a leading or padding character at this point in the
  scan - ignore it *)
    valid,     (* a valid character at this point in the scan - accept
  it *)
    invalid,   (* an invalid character at this point in the scan -
  reject it *)
    terminator (* a terminating character at this point in the scan
  (not part of token) *)
  );

  ScanState =  (* The type of lexical scanning control procedures *)
    PROCEDURE (CHAR, VAR ScanClass, VAR ScanState);

the procedure type.  As the above declaration occurs in ConvTypes in
the ISO libraries - any ISO program would eventually be non debug-able.

So my question is whether this is the same bug you have seen on Solaris -
albeit you are using dbx (and stabs?).  But are you able to debug non
iso programs using non iso libraries?