[Gm2] Re: Modula-2 library LongMath

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] Re: Modula-2 library LongMath
Date: 12 Sep 2008 10:04:24 +0100

Steve Giess <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Gaius,
>
> I note that LongMath (as well as the complex libraries) have still
> to be done. As my main programme needs quite a few of the LongMath
> supplied functions, do you have a timescale for their production
> please?
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve
>
> P.S. FYI: I have successfully installed the recent i686 and x86_64
> versions running under Fedora 7 and 8 respectively.

Hi Steve,

[I've taken the liberty of forwarding this to the list - hope this is
okay - as it is likely to be of interest to others].

Not sure if I answered this email before - it didn't turn up in my
Modula-2 email folder (I've now corrected the filter rule -
apologies).  I'm currently writing the ISO libraries in earnest, the
timescale is hopefully complete the all ISO libraries and type COMPLEX
by New Year.  I'm aiming for 1.0 well within 12 months.  As I see it
the only features that gm2 lacks (the ISO regarding standard) are:
COMPLEX types, PACKED and multidimensional dynamic arrays.  The first
two should be really easy as GCC support these - so it it just a case
of exposing the relevant tree nodes (or assigning fields) and
attaching them to the front end symbols.

I hope to utilise many prerelease 1.0s after the ISO libraries are
built so that we can catch as many different platform bugs as
possible.