Re: [Gm2] Debugging Problems on 64-bit systems

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Debugging Problems on 64-bit systems
Date: 27 Jun 2007 00:47:30 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Gauius:
>
> I am encountering problems using gdb to debug gm2-compiled programmes
> on HP-UX and Solaris-64 (Sparc).  Gdb reports that certain debugging
> parameters are out of range and will not load the binary.  I have no
> problem on Solaris-32 (Sparc).  What sort of information would help
> you track this down?
>
> john

Hi John,

I'm currently unearthing quite a few symbol table bugs in gm2 which
are exposed heavily during optimisation.  (The GCC translated
representation of the m2 symbols rather than the pure m2 front end) -
this might well be causing some grief on Solaris or any OS -
especially if it worked say March time or before.  At present my
modifications are incomplete so I'll hold off from committing them.
But I hope to find the last two remaining bugs (or so) in the near
future.

On another topic do you know whether QEMU can emulate Solaris 10
and sparc-64 bit hardware?  Assuming that Solaris is free etc. it
might be possible to create a 4GB installation image, run it all under
QEMU and build gm2/gdb - this would be a pretty useful method of
regression testing.  I'll be attending the gcc summit and one of the
speakers will be addressing QEMU and gdb.