Re: [Gm2] Problem buliding gm2 on sparcv9 (a.k.a. sparc64)

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Problem buliding gm2 on sparcv9 (a.k.a. sparc64)
Date: 16 Nov 2004 10:20:37 +0000

john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings:
>
> I tried building gm2 as I32LP64 under Solaris 9 and received an error.
> Explicitly, I configured gcc-3.3.2+gm2 with the following:
>
> configure --prefix=/home/build --exec-prefix=/home/build
> --enable-languages=c,gm2 --host=sparcv9-sun-solaris2

Hi John,

excellent someone trying the 64 bit ness of gm2!

> (Sparcv8 is a synonym for sparc64 and configures the build as
> I32LP64.)
> I then made without incident but trying to make gm2.paranoid
> gave me the following error.

> ld: warning: file gm2/gm2-compiler/gm2.a(mod_init.o): wrong ELF class:
> ELFCLASS64

interesting, the file mod_init.o is created each time a sub program
of gm2 is created (gm2l, gm2lsub etc). It looks as if an older version
of the object file is being picked up at link time during
gm2.paranoid.

> ld: fatal: file gm2/gm2-compiler/m2flex.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to stage2/gm2/cc1gm2
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [stage2/gm2/cc1gm2] Error 1

It would be interesting to see if a strict 64 bit build and
gm2.paranoid is successful. I wonder whether you could try adding
--disable-multilib to the configure options. Also it would be good to
double check that the build directory has been rm -rf 'ed before
attempting a build. I tend to build the compiler outside of the source
tree - so that I can remove it totally before the next recompile.

Here is my simple shell script which I use to build gm2 on the
opteron:

#!/bin/sh

DIR=/home/gaius/GM2/build-opteron

if [ -d $DIR ] ; then
   cd $DIR
   rm -rf *
   ../gcc-3.3.4/configure --disable-multilib --enable-languages=c,gm2
--enable-checking
   time make
else
   echo "cannot find directory $DIR"