Re: [Gm2] latest fixes to gm2

From: Iztok Kobal
Subject: Re: [Gm2] latest fixes to gm2
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 10:39:28 +0200

Gaius Mulley wrote:

Izo writes:

Gaius Mulley wrote:

 *  the -Wunbounded-by-reference and -Wverbose-unbounded.
    Here is the extract from gm2.texi

Gaius, I do not understand really the reason for the use of this
option. What situation can it be useful in ?

This could (depending upon how code is written) improve performance
significantly.
The interfacing to C (defining the procedure in DEFINITION MODULE ["C"]...) does it still by default ?

Namely, this could also be the point where my code could break since both the StonyBrook and GPM (which my M2 code was targeted at the time when written) regard the PROCEDURE foo(s : ARRAY OF CHAR) : WHATEVER as WHATEVER foo (char* s), without further local-to-foo-stack-frame-copy, of course, only when interfacing to C.

----

 *  nearly finished ISO SYSTEM
... in case it supports various gcc versions not only the single one as
it is the case now ...

true at present the current CVS snapshot matches gcc-3.3.3 - I plan to
keep patches for 3.3.3 and use the #if defined mechanism to support
3.3.3 as I migrate to gcc-3.4. The configure tests currently check for
supported 3.3.x and all the hooks are there to install the patches and
it sets the -DGCC_VERSION etc
But no gcc-2.95.3 support anymore ? Namely, one of my targets is SA1110/gcc-2.95.3/glibc-2.2.5 and it will hang around for a little while ...

1. What about the .so support ? Is there provided the main body for
_fini and _init ?

still to do.. I can push this as a high priority fix if need be..
My project is now before the 1st milestone which implies pilot implementation of the device and real-world testing. When development cycle continues, which I see it somewhere in autumn, I could switch from XDS to GM2 if the later is stable and easily produces shared objects.

2. Debugging formats - does the GM2 emit the dwarf-2 and stabs+ or it
just depends on the gcc version used ?

gcc-3.3.3 + gm2 supports both. I use -gstabs+ on the 32 bit x86 systems
and -gdwarf-2 on the LP64 opteron system.
Which is important, really. I was using the -gstabs+ since the GPM only emits it and the GDB was not prepared to mix stabs and dwarf for a long time. Lately I've ran into troubles using -gstabs+ since GDB (even 6.1) hangs in some occasions when using multiple inheritance of template based classes and different namespaces so I've just switched back to dwarf-2.

Iztok