Re: [Gm2] ISO SYSTEM clarification

From: Ben Stuyts
Subject: Re: [Gm2] ISO SYSTEM clarification
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:04:25 +0200

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Gaius Mulley wrote:

> I'm currently implementing the ISO SYSTEM module and was wondering
> whether other compilers support SHIFT and ROTATE on non SYSTEM
> types.

I tried it on our Modula-2 cross compiler (from Rowley), which has its own
extensions for shifting: ASH and LSH for arithmetic and logical shift.

   12    foo := ASH(foo, 1)
 ****                     ^905,905,905,905,905,905,905,905,905
 **** 905: bad instruction size in InsSize

So I guess the parser says it's ok. The codegenerator just can't handle
it... In the manual it says: "These functions can be used on all numeric
types and also set types".

Ben