gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] Excessive memory usage with 1.3.12

From: Dan Parsons
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Excessive memory usage with 1.3.12
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:05:01 -0800

I haven't been monitoring gluster/zresearch very closely but I don't think their "commercialness" / community support effort has changed much since I started working with the software about 8 months ago. I think the reason io-cache has been getting a bit less love lately is because (just a guess) the devs are busy working on more often used features (io-cache isn't used very much, judging from the frequency it's mentioned on this list) and there are only so many devs to go around.

I've had a few other issues (which were mostly problems with my system architecture and not actual glusterfs code) and the devs (hey bulde!) have gone to heroic lengths to fix my stuff, spending hours with me on IRC and even once writing a custom patch to make gluster work in the non-standard way I was using it. You can't pay for support like that for any other product that I know of. As a suggestion, I've had faster/ more detailed support from their IRC channel (#gluster on freenode I believe). Also keep in mind that most/all of the devs are in India and are usually sleeping when us Americans are working. Though, that said, I've gotten help from them during our business hours.

I wish I had some help to offer regarding making it work on Solaris. Maybe the same thing is going on here as with io-cache, that is, the dev team is focusing on the most important core feature set to get 1.4.x ready. There is a company behind glusterfs (like I said in a previous email) but that doesn't mean they have unlimited developers. I'm guessing that Linux is their primary target OS and they are spending most resources getting everything working perfectly there, and will be able to spend more time on other systems once things stabilize for Linux (from what I know this is soon/"now").

This doesn't immediately help you, I know, but I suggest maybe giving glusterfs a bit more time/effort to do what you want.

Dan Parsons