Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Fedora mirror is now official

From: vivek shah
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Fedora mirror is now official
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:07:53 +0530

On 12/9/07, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
> So alongwith the only official GNU mirror, NITH now has the first
> official Fedora mirror in India. See:
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/

That is great. Hopefully if we can add some more diskspace to the
server we can host some more content as well. Mirroring really takes
up space. If anyone is there on the list who needs some content to be
mirrored, please post in we can see if we can mirror it for the common
benefit.

> Yes, it is something to be proud of. However being the *first* comes
> with a set of responsibilities and we need to be aware about that. We

Very true.

> would also need to figure out ways to exploit this for the general
> betterment of the institute.

I guess with the Mirror Manager set up any system which uses Fedora 8
the Institute that means all the computers in the College intranet
will be redirected to fedora.glug-nith for any Fedora 8 i386 and
x86_64 thingy.

> Hopefully this will make it easier for the college's system
> administrators to maintain their servers since most of what they will
> need is already available on the college LAN, apart from the obvious
> benefits to the students and faculty.

Yes, the administrators can easily use Fedora 8 on the system instead
of the RHEL 5 they are currently using. Even in RHEL 6 they face the
problems of updating and installing new software so much so that
people donload tar files and go about their own installs, breaking
system often. Maybe with the help of cron jobs, a single properly
configured system with NIS would solve all the trouble. What say?

Regards,
Vivek
--
Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
                -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"