Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Re: Glug-nith-discuss Digest, Vol 6, Issue 2

From: vivek shah
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Re: Glug-nith-discuss Digest, Vol 6, Issue 2
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:55:59 +0530

hi,

We are very clear of what we want. There is nothing as "you guys" out
here. It is the matter of what we want. We do not have any aim of
making everyone use GNU/Linux neither we have any aim of going to each
and every person and tell him what Free Software is.

Exactly as pointed out above and yes we also dream of seeing everyone
use GNU/Linux but that of their own free will. We will not go and say
install this or that but only if the person is willing, we are there
to help him out but yes our main aim is to get people to know about
the options they have and can exercise, and that GNU/Linux is not only
about Geek's haven but everyone can use it but most importantly the
idea is to promote Free Software and why one should use it.

We do not do that. You have taken some assumptions without asking.

Exactly.
People are not so dumb that they will just be forced to use something.
Only if something is good if not better will someone switch from one
os to another. We do not tell people to use linux without explaining
why. That will never work out and its wrong too I think.

> 3) Here in US i can understand the fact and advantage of using open
> source software since you don't have to buy a lot of software since
> piracy here is taken seriously. But in india its still like that only.
> most ppl use some version of pirated software. So how do u get them to
> understand the advantages of linux.

Piracy is not the only point for the promotion of Free Software. Its
not only about the money but the freedom which comes with using Free
Software. The community support that goes alongside is very important.
I think these aspects hold ground everywhere even in India so that
should be a strong ground convince people to use Free Software. The
whole point of learning from each other in a community leading to its
development, which is integrated and strong should be reason enough to
convince people.

It would be really good, but it is not essential for everyone to know
about tweak with linux kernal or be a software developer to make a
good community. Community needs few developers and many users.

I agree with Rakesh too. Its not the point that a community will only
consist of developers or lets say kernel hackers as pointed out. Yes,
a community needs its share of developers but the largest component of
a strong community are the motivated end users. You dont need to be
involved in some Free Software or Open Source projects to be part of a
GLUG or LUG. Its not true that if a community has end users then it
will not be strong.

> I feel this kind of a community will be more helpful though it will
> leave out a lot of ppl but then a stronger development community
> should be better than ppl who just want to use linux for watching
> movies etc.

You are restricting Freedom again. It seems you might be hinting that
for a strong community  you should not see movies on Linux. :-D
We are the Gnu/Linux User's Group of National Institute Of Technolgy, Hamirpur.
its not the only for developer's community. It would be wonderful if
all of us are involved in some development work or another but then
anyone who wants to use Linux for watching movies is also welcome. No
personal attacks here I am just trying to clear a point.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Regards,
Vivek
--
Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
               -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"