glue

Re: [discuss] Scope of GNU GLUE project [WWW Link]

From: Sander Vesik
Subject: Re: [discuss] Scope of GNU GLUE project [WWW Link]
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 18:55:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Michael Gerdts wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 04:57:34PM +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > > BTW, what would be the security and session model when using XML-RPC?
> > >

> > good question 8-)
>
> My I humbly suggest GSS-API?  This already exists on many OS's, is a
> required component of NFS4, and is already well defined in RFC's
> 1964, 2025, 2203, 2478, 2479, 2623.  The nice thing about this is that it
> allows you to integrate it with your enterprise's security system, whatever
> it may be (UNIX authentication, Kerberos, X.509, etc).  It takes care of
> both authentication and encryption of data.
>
> In other words, it would not be redundant work, and it would reduce
> redundant work in the future.

I'm a bit reluctant to admit GSS-API into it all as a 'mandatory' or core
part. The core should be toptally usable with no crypto. In this day and
age, it does have it's advantages.

Not that I am overly sure at this point where XML-RPC precicely fits in...

> Mike

        Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly
        -- Terry Pratchett, 'Small Gods'