Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:24:21 +0100

Hi Zenfur and all,

I am very late with this answer, but the end of year 2014 was super busy for me, now it is holiday and I finally have the time to read all your nice emails, think about them and give a feedback.

First, as Leo I feel very heart-warming that you are interested in reviving Glob! I will help the best I can, considering that I have limited time. Maybe at some point, I might have some student work force to contribute, but it is uncertain so for now let's not count on it.

Reviving Globulation through a Glob2+ or a Glob3 is also a dream of mine. With Emmanuel Eckard, the person who drew the buildings in Glob2, we started to do some concept drawing for a Glob3 game [1]. The idea illustrated there is to have globules living in the clouds of a dense atmosphere planet (for instance Venus), allowing interesting construction activities (platforms and bridges) and interactions with the environment (wind, etc.). Think about "dwarf fortress in the clouds". This is a long term dream, but maybe these drawings give "food for thought" ;-)

At a shorter term, Emmanuel and I thought about improving the economy of Glob2 to make it less linear. I have put the preliminary result of that brainstorming in attachment. The idea is to improve the dynamics of the game with minimal changes in the engine. One thing I would change is to script the unit behaviour, as the current system based on C++-coded hierarchical state machines is unmaintainable. As discussed by others, Python would be a language of choice (but Lua and Javascript should be considered too). The idea would be to use continuations (i.e. generators in Python, or a hack in the VM embedding code) to allow to code the behaviour of units very easily and implement that behind the hood using co-routines. In the context of robotics, I made a prototype for C Python demonstrating the concept [2]. A challenge with Python is to ensure proper sand-boxing and deterministic execution. There are tiny Python implementations [3,4] which might help. TinyPY seems the most promising approach after one hour investment in looking around. More thoughtful search might change that.

At an even shorter term, I agree with Leo that as a community we could "prove" our interest by fixing the bugs in the existing game. By the way, what is the main repository, is it [5]? What is the latest state, is the tip of the master branch in hg 0.9.4.4? People also started to post issues both there and on savannah, savannah is the official tracker, isn't it? I recently re-read parts of the code base, and I think it would be worth trying to port it to mobile devices. That would mostly imply UI changes and maybe using hi-res graphics (twice the size of the current ones).

At the level of monetization, why not having a fully free version for single and local game, and a paying version for YOG games on mobile? As a first step, it will help to pay for the server.

So, maybe the following first tasks are reasonable for a revive of the existing version:

1. fix bugs
2. compile current version for android
3. try to embed a proper scripting language for the behaviour of units and maps
4. explore improved economy system, thanks to scripting

What do you think?

Have great holidays!

Stéph

[1] http://h.magnenat.net/~steph/glob3-concept/