Re: [glob2-devel] Re: lets get out beta5 now

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Re: lets get out beta5 now
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:53:06 +0100

Hi Zenfur,

> Giszmo/Leo, please accept a little more features on the
> feedback(feature) forum

huh?? it's not up to me to "accept" features. atm there are several people with
write access to hg.globulation2.org
"Developer Center" and "Contributor Center" on our website need to reflect the
new possibilities of forking of mercurial. It all reads like we are still using
CVS.

To get to your point: We don't have a democracy here but we neither do have one
boss do decide. Kai said it, too.
Those with write access can more or less do what they want and so far we never
even discussed about revoking write access to anybody but at the same time the
number of people having write access is small and I'd like to see people
actually code for glob2 before granting them write access. Stephane is the only
one who can grant write access btw.

> I'd like to know if I shall work on something
> or not, because it's not requested by you. If people really want a
> feature like gates - why don't accept it?

I see no point in gates as
* we already have them in a way (warriors stop at any building/wall)
* gates can be very much micro management
* there is no clear vision behind the feature request of how they should work
but if anybody implements them *and* they improve the gameplay I will definitely
not refuse to integrate them.

I see my role in glob2 as a guard to keep things going. My playground is not
programming features and also not deciding which features to accept. I care more
about the quality of the contributions.
If the gates come with a bunch of bugs I will not pull them in.
If they come with an opt-in pre-game toggle and super-perfectly clean code I
will definitely not ask about players opinion and integrate them.
For all in between I will ask opinions. With hudson building binaries for linux
and windows it will be super-easy to run cross-platform test-games once anybody
is working on such a feature. If players like it, I will integrate it. And if I
don't, maybe any of the others with write access does.
Don't see me in any special position other than having write access like 20
others and maybe you after implementing gates that actually work.

> Aha, my older brother also intends to help globulation in coding :)

hehe :) that's good news.

Regards

Leo Wandersleb

P.S.: If you are looking for small tasks, you can look into the list of errors
and possible errors at
http://hudson.globulation2.org/job/glob2-nicktime-beta5-nightly/cppcheckResult/
those marked as "error" should definitely be dealt with. Some of the others I
looked at are veritable memleaks, too.