ghm-discuss

[Ghm-discuss] Cheap librebooting

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: [Ghm-discuss] Cheap librebooting
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 18:25:01 +0200

Hi, I have 2 or 3 usable X60{T,} (actually I have more but I don’t count
the ones those I must replace the fans or with a broken hinge) and the
material needed for flashing (or unbricking) lenovo thinkpad computers
with Libreboot.
Would that interest someone at GHM?

The computers are not all in good state, yet if someone has any computer
in this list [1] (currently X60{T,s,} (most of time), T60 (depends),
X200(and X200T, depends), R400, T400, T500, W500 and soon X220(T)) we
could flash it with the material guarantee that if it fails and brick we
could unbrick it, and yet I can bring some flashable/flashed computers
if that interest someone…

Yet you can note that I’ve heard X220(T) will be libreboot-compatible
soon while being almost as cheap, having more ram, more cpu, dual in/out
jack, better resolution (and ratio) and better cooling system, yet as
all thinkpads excepts X60(T,s,) and T60(s) it has been released with
AMT/ME (the intel management stuff that allows remote-controlling the
cpu and libreboot tries at best to maybe-disable, while the formers were
before AMT/ME was invented), so they might be considered as more secure
(at least GNUtoo said this to me, afaik Leah (and libreboot) doesn’t
agree that much)

The buspirate/BBB+pomona+jump-cables are fragile but light,
while the laptops are certainly more solid but also a bit heavy in
number… On the end I think I will bring the material in all cases but
I’m not sure for laptops depending on reactions on the mailing list
(sorry to post that late :/)…

[1] <https://libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#laptops-intel-x86>