ghm-discuss

[Ghm-discuss] Re: GHM in review

From: Michael Fötsch
Subject: [Ghm-discuss] Re: GHM in review
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:39:41 +0200

On 07/31/2010 02:50 PM, Andy Wingo wrote:
>   1. What was great about the meeting? Name one or two of your favorite
>      things.

It was great to meet other GNU hackers and get to know about their
projects. The informal conversations at lunch/dinner were as important
for that as the time at the RevSpace.

>   2. What could have been better? Again, one or two things, along with
>      suggestions for improvements if you have them.

The lightning talks presented some interesting topics. It would have
been great to have more time, though, to elaborate on the talks, ask
more questions, etc.

Also, for keysigning newbies like me, an introduction about the concepts
would have been helpful. (Had a hard time figuring out how to do the
actual signing most efficiently; still not sure whether everyone
received the signed keys from me correctly ;-) .)

>   3. Was there anything missing from the meeting? Or, alternately, was
>      there some part of the meeting we could have done without?
>
>   4. What about focus -- did we have a good focus? Too broad, too
>      narrow?

The focus was as broad as the GNU project itself, I would say.
(I wonder whether it would have been beneficial to have a common theme
to the talks/discussions/workshops. GNUnet/social networking came close
to being such a theme.)

>   5. What about the size? Do you want the GHM to be bigger in the
>      future? How would you feel if there were 100 people there?

As Andy said, things like informal dinners would be hard to organize for
100 people, so the size felt about right. (There were 350 people at
GUADEC, however, and that was interesting too. Would definitely have
been interesting if all of them had been GNU people.)

>   6. What about colocation? Did this influence your decision to attend?
>      Was it a good thing or a bad thing?

Colocation made the decision easier for me.

>   7. Any other comments?

Thanks to the organizers! It was a great experience. Hope to see you
next time.

Kind Regards,
M.F.