gfsd-hackers

[gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)
Date: 14 Nov 2000 20:53:19 -0500

Free Software Foundation <address@hidden> writes:

> >   Web Page:
> >   http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/binutils.html
>
> I spoke with the binutils folks this week, and I believe they are working to
> fix the site.

Thanks.

> >   Regarding the mailing list.......oops I couldn't find one, sorry.
>
> Often, when I can't find a mailing list, I just search for the program name
> in /com/mailer/aliases.  In this case, I think the mailing list is
> <address@hidden>.

Yes, I saw that too, but the name "bug-binutils" doesn't invite me to
join the developers, it invites me to report bugs.

I found the "maintained" web page at redhat
(http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/), and they have another mailing
list expressly for "all issues"
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/)

> >   + It doesn't reflects all the mailing lists that we really have, it
> >     doesn't even have a link to: http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo
>
> I have been looking for ways to fix this.  Ultimately, I believe is simply
> going to be the case that not every GNU-related mailing list will be hosted
> at gnu.org, so referring people to http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ is
> not going to be enough.

I agree, we have to create a "shell page".

> Therefore, about a week ago, I submitted a patch to the Free
> Software Directory file format so that it would include all the
> information needed to build what currently is on
> /prep/mailinglists.html.  Since people are working hard to keep the
> Free Software Directory accurate, we could write a simple Perl
> program to build the "list of mailing lists" from the Free Software
> Directory files.

That Free Software Directory, actually needs a lot of work, including
a search engine.

Besides, why we have this Free Software Directory, and the
www.gnu.org/software web page? don't you think they should be merged?

> I have been waiting to hear back from the Free Software Directory
> folks if they will be able to keep track of this information.  I
> have not yet heard back from them.  I have cc'ed them here, in hopes
> of a response.

knock, knock, anybody there ? :)

> > Sorry if I shouldn't be raising my concerns to you, but I don't know to
> > who else do it, all I want is that the GNU Project gets better, it is not
> > a rant against somebody or some group specifically.
>
> It isn't taken that way.  We all want the "list of mailing lists" to be
> better, and for the web site to be better.  It's not someone's fault; it's
> just do to lack of time.  Point out such problems is the first step in
> getting them fixed.
>
> Hopefully, the Free Software Directory folks can get back to us soon about
> the mailing list issue.

Knock, knock .... :(

(my knuckles will be bleeding soon)

> > What about that project of setting up a SourceForge-like website?
>
> I have been wondering about this, too.  RMS had someone working on it, but I
> don't know the status.  RMS?

The last thing I know is that Loic was working on that, there was a
few mails traveling around in system hackers months ago, but then
everything disappeared on the shadows.

> At this point, I have noticed that many GNU projects have switched
> to sourceforge, because we didn't the equivalent.  We need to act
> soon, or when we do get something up, no one will use it.

Yep, that's why I took some time off from other GNU stuff to make
GNATS work, it is not perfect yet, but at least is up and running now.

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso
GNU Volunteer Coordinator