gfo-users

Re: [Gfo-users] Presentation and questions

From: Frank Loebe
Subject: Re: [Gfo-users] Presentation and questions
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 11:08:19 +0100

Hi Gerardo,

first of all, thanks for your interest in GFO; due to time-constraints just
a brief answer for now.

> (1) How does GFO deal with "behavior", "learning", "innateness", and
> other relevant concepts of the behavioral sciences? Do you know any
> paper or book about these issues?

At the present stage, GFO does not cover the mentioned notions themselves
(as fully elaborated categories/notions). However, I see mainly two
connections / anchor points. Firstly, from a top-level perspective,
especially "behavior" and "learning" seem to fall into the category of
processual structures, i.e. either being processes themselves or closely
related to or derived from processes. Secondly, GFO follows to some extent
the approach of distinguishing levels of reality, including (at least) three
major (so-called) strata ("areas"): the material stratum, the
mental/psychological stratum and the social stratum. All mentioned notions
seem to belong mainly to the mental/psychological stratum, possibly
intertwined with the social stratum. The focus of GFO as currently available
is still primarily on the material stratum, although we are also working
towards capturing more of other levels/strata (but on an irregular basis).

I'm not sure how to understand the question for books or papers. To my
knowledge, we have or there are no specific publications on GFO in
connection with the behavioral sciences. I guess that the question is not
generally asking for literature in the area (of which there should be very
much, but I myself do not have specific recommendations on that).

> (2) Is there any mailing list or Forum for discussing different upper-
> level formal ontologies?

My first ideas on this are:

1.) Possibly the members list of the International Association of Ontology
and Its Applications (IAOA), cf. [1]. (iaoa-members may be ok, but requires
joining IAOA. The iaoa-general list is rather intended for announcements.)

2.) The mailing list (ontolog-forum) or other resources of the Ontolog
Community, cf. [2,3].

I hope this is at least of some help. Please let me know if you have further
questions (with apologies in advance if replies may take a while,
sometimes).

Sincerely,
Frank Loebe

[1] http://www.iaoa.org

[2] http://ontolog.cim3.net/

[3] http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/

Frank Loebe
University of Leipzig
Department of Computer Science
Postal Address: P.O.Box 100920, 04009 Leipzig
Street Address: Johannisgasse 26, 04103 Leipzig
GERMANY

Phone: +49 341 97 32236
Fax  : +49 341 97 32299
Email: address@hidden