[Getfem-users] problem with the von Mises stress: different materials

From: Florian Kolbl
Subject: [Getfem-users] problem with the von Mises stress: different materials
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 15:29:45 +0000

Dear users of getfem,

I am trying to learn getfem for different applications, making individual steps to explore the possibility of the package with python. I am currently simulating linear elasticity, more precisely a simple 2D cantilever with Dirichlet conditions on the sides and an external force on the top (see the attached step2.pdf for illustration), however my geometry (see the attached .geo file) contains 2 materials. I described my problem specifying the region label when adding the linearized elasticity brick:

# adding the physical equations of the linear elasticity to the model
model.add_fem_variable('u', displacement)
# for the Steel
model.add_initialized_data('lambda_S', clambda_S)
model.add_initialized_data('mu_S', cmu_S)
model.add_filtered_fem_variable('lambdastar_S', clambdastar_S)
model.add_isotropic_linearized_elasticity_brick(mim,'u','lambda_S','mu_S',STEEL_CANT)
# for the Aluminium
model.add_initialized_data('lambda_Al', clambda_Al)
model.add_initialized_data('mu_Al', cmu_Al)
model.add_initialized_data('lambdastar_Al', clambdastar_Al)
model.add_isotropic_linearized_elasticity_brick(mim,'u','lambda_Al','mu_Al',ALUMINIUM_CANT)

I have a result for the displacement, however I am blocked to compute the von Mises stress as I can't specify a region to the compute_isotropic_linearized_Von_Mises_or_Tresca method... Is there any solution to overcome this issue. (by the way, I am using gmsh to create the mesh, the input and output files are attached as well as my python script for getfem).

I thank you in advance,

best regards,

--
Dr. Florian Kolbl
Senior Research Officer

University of Essex
School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
Brain-Computer Interface Lab
Room 3A.532D
Telephone 01206 874384

Winvenhoe Park