[Getfem-users] How to maintain the region number on mesh refinement?

From: Mirko Windhoff
Subject: [Getfem-users] How to maintain the region number on mesh refinement?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:28:30 +0200

Dear GetFEM devs and users,

I have a tetrahedral mesh with several region numbers, which I want to
refine using the matlab interface function:
gf_mesh_set(mesh M, 'refine'[, ivec CVIDs])
The refining adds new tetrahedra to the mesh, with regionnumber 0.
Since the new tetrahedra are spread throughout the whole mesh, I can't
determine to which region they belong (see screenshot). Then I
selected only tetrahedra from one region. But unfortunately that
did'nt help, because new tetrahedra are found also outside of the
region.
Is there any possibility to restrict refining to a certain region or
to assign the correct region number to the refined tetrahedra?

I think it would be possible to add fem data first based on the region
number and refine afterwards, but I would like to refine the mesh
first and the use the refined mesh to assign values based on the
regions and a lookup volume.

My refining function for my custom mesh structs:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2465545/mesh_refine_tetrahedra.m
Screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2465545/refined_mesh.png

Thank you for any hints.