[Getfem-users] Bug? in enumerating DOFs on region and faces

From: Roman Putanowicz
Subject: [Getfem-users] Bug? in enumerating DOFs on region and faces
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:49:46 +0200

Dear Yves,

I think I have found a bug in accessing DOFs on regions and faces.

The setup is as follows : single segment mesh with HERMITE fem.
I create two mesh regions (for the left end node and for the right end node).

The output of the demo program (sent in attachment) is as follows:

-----------------------------------
$ ./dofs_of_region
DOFs on the left end : [0]
DOFs on the right end : [2]
DOFs on convex : 0 1 2 3
DOFs on face 0 of convex : 2
DOFs on face 1 of convex 0
-----------------------------------

DOFs on convex are listed properly as 0 1 2 3.
I would expect DOFs on left end region as well as dofs on face 1 of the convex
to be [0,1] and not just [0]. So it seems that the dofs for derivative degrees
of freedom are missing.

I have looked at code for dal::bit_vector mesh_fem::basic_dof_on_region()
but I do not see there provision for non-Lagrangian elements.

I can check if the fem of a convex is Lagrangian but what should be done
if it is not?

I am afraid that this can be a little pandora box :( but hope that this is
not) (in particular I have in mind the code for setting Dirichlet boundary
condition on Hermite elements).

In attachment there is mentioned test code to reproduce the bug.

Regards

Roman
--
Roman Putanowicz, PhD  < address@hidden  >
Institute for Computational Civil Engng (L-5)