Re: [Getfem-users] 3D truss element

From: Renard Yves
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] 3D truss element
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 17:17:41 +0200

Dear Roman,

I am not an expert at all for this kind of (rather simple) element. What I do not understand in 3D is what kind of degrees of freedom this element will link ? Is this element have a nonlinear behavior due to the geometrical nonlinearity or is it considered in small displacements ?

There could be several way to implement this. The first one is to use the transformation matrix M of the non-tau equivalent elements (see the doc). A second way, especially if it is non-linear and since the elementary matrix is very simple, would be to create an small model brick dealing with such an element.

Of course, It would be interesting to add such an element in Getfem.

Yves.

Roman Putanowicz <address@hidden> a écrit :

Dear All,

Has anyone of you implemented 3D truss element (or 2D) within the
framework of GetFEM++? Not that this element is any special --
I could calculate its stiffness matrix explicitly and use generic
assembly routines. However I have problems if figuring out if there
is some sort of support in GetFEM for "structural elements" as I call them.

To be more explicit: one usually  defines the truss element in
local coordinate system that reduces the problem to 1D.
Then in case of 2D one uses the transformation matrix:

  T = [ c  s 0 0
        0  0 c s ]   c -- cosine between local and global X axis
                     s -- sine between local and global X axis

 that transforms global degree of freedom Q_i (2 per node) into the
 local one.
 Of course element stiffness matrix in global coordinate system boils down
 to :
   E*A *   T' * [1,-1;-1,1] * T     where E*A is the bar stiffness.

 The question essentially is -- what is the most "GetFEMic" way of handling
 the matrix T?

 Regards

 Roman
--
Roman Putanowicz, PhD  < address@hidden  >
Institute for Computational Civil Engng (L-5)