[Getfem-users] Using SuperLU - A question

From: Bwalya Malama
Subject: [Getfem-users] Using SuperLU - A question
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:47:15 -0600 (MDT)

Hi:

I am trying to solve the following using SuperLU:

Ax = b (1)

where the vector "b" changes as I match thru time but the matrix "A" is
fixed. Using "routines" from numerical recipies, I can solve (1) with "A"
factored into "L*U" only once. For different "b"'s I only call the
backsubstitution routine. My question is, can one do the same thing using
SuperLU? From what is in the gmm++ manual, it appears one has to decompose
"A" everytime (1) is solved for different "b"'s. Is that the case? Or is
it possible to decompose "A" only once, and using "LU" for subsequent
solutions?

Sincerely,
-- Bwalya
Bwalya Malama, Ph.D.
Center for Geophysical Research of the Shallow Subsurface
Boise State University
Boise, Idaho
tel: 208-426-2959
email: address@hidden