geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Cannot get autodoc to work with chicken

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Cannot get autodoc to work with chicken
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:25:50 +0100

On Wed, Jan 11 2017, Erich Rast wrote:

> Hi Jose,
>
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 01:17:58 +0100
> "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> > But whenever I move the cursor over a symbol like e.g. display or
>> > car, it says "Autodoc not available (Symbol's function definition
>> > is void: geiser-syntax--pop-to-top)".
>> >
>> > Any advice on how to get this working?
>>
>> The error seems to indicate that somehow geiser's elisp code is not
>> fully loaded.  Do you have any specific configuration in your init
>> files (.emacs or similar)?  The function geiser-syntax--pop-to-top is
>> defined in geiser-syntax: `M-x find-library RET geiser-syntax' should
>> find it if it's loaded.  Does it?
>
> Find-library finds geiser-syntax.el in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> and opens it. When I evaluate it with eval-buffer and switch to the
> source code buffer (after run-geiser), there is no change. Emacs
> continues to crank "Autodoc not available (Symbol's function definition
> is void: geiser-syntax--pop-to-top)" whenever I move the cursor over a
> function like 'display' in (display "hello world").
>
> But there is another hint that I've overlooked before: Right after
> opening a scheme file, there is a short-lived message "File mode
> specification error: (void-function geiser-syntax--simple-keywords)"
>
> Does that help with troubleshooting? Maybe it has to do with the fact
> that Melpa installs it site-wide?

Maybe.  I've never seen MELPA writing in my
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp directory.  How do you do that?

> I'd really like to get this working.

A thing you could try is to uninstall geiser completely from MELPA,
getting a git clone and then follow the instructions here:
http://geiser.nongnu.org/geiser_2.html#From-the-source_0027s-mouth
(it's really simple if you have git at hand).

Ceers,
jao
--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."