geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Re-evaluation fails when embedding Geiser into Racket

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Re-evaluation fails when embedding Geiser into Racket program
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:42:04 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, May 13 2013, Mikhail Maluyk wrote:

[...]

>     My guess is that you're not connected to a properly intialized geiser
>     process, or loading world.rkt before geiser, so that the latter does not
>     have time to setup things properly before world.rkt is compiled by the
>     Racket process.
>
> Hm, it works well with evaluating new things and introspection, but
> redefining things gives the above error.  I'd expect such behaviour if
> (compile-enforce-module-constants) returned #t, but it returns #f and
> still gives the error. May it be not geiser related but racket itself,
> what do you think?

This is my theory: in your example for hello.rkt, you had the form
(require geiser/server-start "world.rkt"): that's probably loading
world.rkt before geiser, and once you compile a module without setting
compile-enforce-module-constants to #t, it remains unmodifiable forever
(even if you change compile-enforce-module-constants to #f afterwards,
as geiser does).

If that theory is true, you'll only have problems in redefining things
inside world.rkt, but not in modules loaded after requiring geiser.

Could that be the case?

jao
--
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.
  -Juan Ramón Jiménez, poet (1881-1958)