geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Graceful handling of long lines in the REPL

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Graceful handling of long lines in the REPL
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:20:12 +0100

Hi Jao!

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <address@hidden> skribis:

> Unfortunately, geiser does not provide an elisp sexp shortener (it uses
> the scheme services for the shortened value that you see in the echo
> area after evaluation, and does not interfere with evaluations performed
> at the REPL), so you'd need to hack you own.

Actually, I think the problem is that Emacs has a hard time dealing with
long lines in general, and the REPL just makes it easier to trigger the
problem.  Namely, it appears to spend time in string_match_1 and
re_search, which presumably take time proportional to the line length.

So rather than shortening sexps, I think inserting newlines, say,
between datums, would solve the problem (something that can be done in a
pre-output filter function, I suppose.)

(I tried longlines-mode in the REPL but it makes Emacs unusable even
sooner.)

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.