geiser-users

[Geiser-users] [bug #30913] Support for Guile's debugger

From: anonymous
Subject: [Geiser-users] [bug #30913] Support for Guile's debugger
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:33:58 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #30913 (project geiser):

Hello,

Thank you for Geiser -- it's really nice!

I would also like to see the debugging support somewhat extended. In
particular, I wonder if it would be possible to hook into GUD so that it's
possible to set breakpoints in the source buffers and also seeing the current
location reflected in source buffer fringe (the conventional right arrow) when
stepping.

I have some experience inplementing GUD support for external debuggers so I
may be able to help out here, but due to the nature of Geiser (and Lisp
environments in general) things look a bit different compared to interacting
with an "external" debugger (such as gdb/jdb etc). In particular, I guess you
want to have GUD as some kind of minor mode inside the REPL mode, as opposed
to as a major mode for a separate dedicated buffer?

Lastly, I think it would be cool if source location for code interactively
evaluated from a buffer would be tracked. Right now the source locations in
the backtrace (at least in the Guile case) refer to stdin-something. I know
this is how it's implemented but from a user point of view I think it makes
sense (and should be possible) to keep track of where interactively evaluated
code came from. I.e. when you do C-M-x or the like, the source code locations
(which Geiser knows) would be communicated to the underlying Scheme (may
require dedicated support in the implementation?) and then used when printing
out backtraces and the like.

As I said, if you think the above makes sense and is doable, I can probably
help out.

Cheers,

Tobias Gerdin (tgerdin (at) the-google-mail-service . com)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?30913>

  Meddelandet skickades via/av Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/