geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Minor spelling/grammar errors in Geiser's documentati

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Minor spelling/grammar errors in Geiser's documentation
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 15:38:37 +0100

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jan 07 2011, Mark Harig wrote:

> Here are a set of patches for minor spelling or grammar errors that I
> found in the Geiser documentation (for example, replacing "i'm" with
> "I'm") after running 'ispell' on them and reading the Info file
> generated from the sources. The sources were retrieved from the Geiser
> 'git' repository.

First of all, a HUGE thank you for taking the time to do this!

I'm applying most of your patches, with some exceptions :):

The use of lowercase "i" is intended: as a matter of style (and despite
i know it's orthographically wrong), i prefer to refer to myself using a
lowercase "i" (except at the beginning of a sentence, where i capitalize
it just as any other word). Silly, i know, but i'm keeping it :)

I'm also keeping the UK spelling for words such as "initialise" or
"favourite".

> -When working with a fully conniving Scheme, Geiser can offer the
> +When working with a fully conforming Scheme, Geiser can offer the

I'm using "conniving" as a pun for old schemers, and i mean a scheme
which collaborates or conspires with the Elisp part (so "conforming" is
not really what i mean)... does it sound too awkward to natives ears?

> -(using Emacs' @code{browser-url} command), while in Guile a lookup will
> +(using Emacs' @code{browser-url} command), while in Guile a look-up will

"lookup" means "the act of _electronic_ information retrieval", which
seems the right term here.

> -Emacs initialization files (as a rule, all knobs in Geiser are turnable
> +Emacs initialization files (as a rule, all knobs in Geiser are tunable

i have a doubt here: a knob is usually a physical thing that you can
"turn" rather that "tune", no?

> -prompted for a host and a port, defaulting to localhost and 37146. You
> +prompted for a host and a port, defaulting to ``localhost'' and 37146. You
>  can change those defaults customizing @code{geiser-repl-default-host}
> -and @code{geiser-repl-default-port}, respectfully.
> +and @code{geiser-repl-default-port}, respectively.

This was a silly joke of mine... ok, ok :)

Apart from the above nits, i'm applying all the other changes shortly,
and i'd like to add your name to the THANKS file if that's OK with you,
Mark. I'll also add a section somewhere mentioning that this is the
right place to contact The Geiserati.

Thanks again for your help: i always make a point of providing decent
documentation and get upset when people don't read it ;-)

Cheers,
jao