geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] autodoc display when working with racket 5.0.2

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] autodoc display when working with racket 5.0.2
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:01:11 +0100

hi ali,

On Tue, Dec 21 2010, Ali Asad Lotia wrote:

[...]

> I'm wondering why the autodoc display in the minibuffer is fairly
> cryptic compared to slime, or autodoc running within an elisp buffer
> in emacs.
> At present, the repl has:
>
> Welcome to Racket v5.0.2.
> racket@> (print )
>
> and when point is in the above sexp, I see
> (#%kernel:print _ (_) (_))
>
> Since I'm quite new to geiser and scheme and lisp in general, it's
> quite likely I'm doing something wrong. Any info on what I'm messing
> up would be much appreciated.

no, you're doing nothing wrong. it's just you hit a case where there's
little information available for autodoc.

> (#%kernel:print _ (_) (_))
    ^       ^     ^  ^   ^
    |       |     |  |   |
  module    id    |  |   |
                  |  |   +--- second optional argument: unknown default
                  |  +----- first optional argument: unknown default
                one required argument

identifiers in the "#%kernel" module are defined at the C level, and
it's never possible for geiser to ascertain the names and default values
of its optional arguments. when geiser does not know an argument name,
it uses '_'.

i a user-land module, you would be seeing something like:

(my-module:print x (output-stream #t) (flag #:something))

hth,
jao