gdb

Re: [Gdb] hpux 11 compile issue

From: Michael Chastain
Subject: Re: [Gdb] hpux 11 compile issue
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:00:53 -0400

Robert Nesius <address@hidden> wrote:
> I cannot get 6.1.1 or 6.2 to compile on HPUX 11.00 with ansic or gcc.
> The problem is in gdb/hpux-threads.c, line 221 seems to be the
> beginning of a declaration of a global data-structure with the size
> determined dynamically (?).

Yes, this happens if your hpux system has the old CMA threads package
and gdb is configured to use them.  That brings in hpux-thread.c.
And that no longer compiles ever since NUM_REGS was changed from
a constant to a multi-arched variable.

I can build gdb 6.1.1 on native hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00,
on a system with no CMA threads.

There are two ways around this.  One way is to make the obvious patch:

  -static char regmap[NUM_REGS] =
  +static char regmap[] =

The other way would be to patch the configure script and disable support
for CMA threads:

  -if test -f /usr/include/dce/cma_config.h ; then
  +if false ; then

I recommend disabling support for CMA threads.  Since hpux-thread.c hasn't
compiled for a while, it is likely that the code has bit-rotted.

If you are actually debugging programs with CMA threads then you'll
have to try the first way.

Michael C
GDB QA Guy