gdb

[Gdb] Setting a breakpoint within an archive

From: Clark L. Coleman
Subject: [Gdb] Setting a breakpoint within an archive
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:59:35 -0500 (EST)

I am trying to debug an executable in directory1.  Over in directory2,
there is a library file foo.a that was linked into the executable.  It
was compiled with the -g compiler flag, among others.

When I use gdb within directory2:

gdb directory1/executablename
> directory $cwd
$cwd:$cdir

I still cannot set a breakpoint at some location within the archive:

> b foo.c:177
No source file named foo.c.

So, how do I set a breakpoint within foo.c?

This is gdb on Red Hat Linux:

$ gdb -v
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.1.90CVS-5)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux".

Thanks for any help.

Clark Coleman
University of Virginia