gdb

[Gdb] gdb - No debugging symbols found

From: Harsha perera
Subject: [Gdb] gdb - No debugging symbols found
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:58:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi Gurus,

I am using gdb 4.17 on SUN SPARC SOLARIS 2.6.

I build an executable from two "c" source files. The
command that I use to build the executable is

/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -g -o shmsem1 shmsem1.c seminit.c

When I use gdb to invoke the executable shmsem1, the
following output is given:

gdb shmsem1
GNU gdb 4.17
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and
you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies
of it under certain
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.This GDB was configured as
"sparc-sun-solaris2.6"...
(no debugging symbols found)...

I do not expect to see the message "(no debugging
symbols found)...", as I have specified the -g switch
to the compiler.

If I create an executable from a single source file
using the -g switch, gdb does not give the message (no
debugging symbols found)...

Please point out to me if I have missed something or
if
this is a BUG in gdb?
If it is a BUG in gdb is it known and is there a patch
for it?

Please email any responses directly to me. My email
address is address@hidden

Thanks in advance.

Harsha