gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] I lost my menu bar (or perhaps my mind)

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] I lost my menu bar (or perhaps my mind)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:35:49 +0200

Am Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:08:14 -0400 schrieb Ken Taylor:

> g-c 1.8.1 on CentOS 7.4 with the Mate desktop
>
> I just called up g-c and needed to look for a hidden .filename file.
> Should be simple - View; [ X] Show Hidden files.  Except... the File;
> Edit; Mark; View... bar was GONE!

Whuu? Did you hit another key here accidentally?

> I tried F10 (which allow me to change displayed bars in Firefox)
> nothing
>
> I poked around the top of g-c with the mouse to see if I could launch
> something - no
>
> I renamed my ~/.gnome-commander file and launched g-c. A new
> directory was created, no menu bar

Nearly all settings are stored via gsettings since version 1.6.0. This
is something similar like the windows registry, but much better usable.
Some remnants are still there in the gnome-commander.xml file, but I
plan to move them also into gsettings or something different. (The
reason for that is that processing this file requires again an outdated
library.)

> I reinstalled g-c - no change
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled g-c - no change
>
> I rebooted the computer :-((  - no change
>
> I launched g-c and began beating on the F keys. F1 launched help
> (which I looked at but not completely), then F2 etc. After F7 which
> launched the "create a directory" dialog the keys did not seem to do
> anything (or I fell asleep). When I finally LOOKED at g-c I observed
> that my menu bar was back :-)
>
> A bit more testing showed that F12 is the offending (or magic) key.
> And yes, it is described in the help/g-c Manual.

:-D

> I wanted to pass along a couple of items...
>
> If you flail at the keyboard as I do - and you accidentally hit F12 -
> you will loose your File; Edit; ... menu (but F12 will bring it back.
>
> More importantly ... consider looking in the manual at the range of
> keyboard shortcuts which are available in g-c. WOW! I am amazed. And
> I will be doing some studying.
>
> Ken Taylor

Thank you for this report! :)

The Show/Hide menu bar feature with F12 (default) has been introduced
in 1.6.0: https://gcmd.github.io/2016/10/04/Release-v1-6-0.html

It is also relatively new to me. The cool thing is that together with
all the over features in the view menu you can basically remove all
"unnecessary" Gnome Commander decorations and finally only have two big
file panes. Some window managers even support Alt+F11 which makes the
window a full screen window without a boarder. Then you have only two
panes on your screen. No distraction anymore :)

Best
Uwe