gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] history

From: kht-lists
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] history
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 14:59:07 +0000

Hello again Michael,

My main OS is CentOS 7 and the g-c package is available in the nux-dextop repo.
I followed these instructions
https://www.linuxhelp.com/how-to-install-gnome-commander-1-8-1-on-ubuntu-17-04
when I built g-c for use on an Ubuntu Mate 18.04 virtual machine.  I then
managed to build a .deb package (un-signed, un-official etc. for personal use)
which I was then able to copy to another virtual machine to do the
installation. I did not want to put all the development packages on that VM. If
you are interested I would be happy to provide the .deb package to you. No
guarantee of course! Just let me know.

In my installations of g-c I generally make these changes:

Single click to open items
[ ] Don's start a new instance is UNchecked
change color scheme to "Deep blue"

The keyboard shortcut to "Open connection" is changed to Crtl-S (I guess I
liked to remember "connect to Server")
I have 3 "devices" created on my main workstation install. These refer to mount
points such as /data

I have some applications associated with mime types. This is described on the
g-c web site under Tips and tricks for Gnome Commander.

I believe that is all that I have changed.

There appears to be no g-c related subdirectory nor file under ~/.config

In the folder ~/.gnome-commander I find:

devices
fav-apps
gnome-commander.xml
devices.deprecated
fav-apps.deprecated
(folder) plugins (which is empty)

As to remote connections... I had a major issue with that several years ago.
If I made a remote connection from g-c and saved it... g-c saved the password
in PLAIN TEXT. Not good!  I then learned how to setup keys using seahorse
(default gnome keyring tool). Now I can make an ssh connection from a terminal
or from g-c without being prompted for credentials. g-c takes advantage of the
stored keys as well.

g-c now stores the connections in ~/.gnome-commander.xml in this format

                <Connection name="t16" uri="sftp://address@hidden/"; auth="2"/>
                <Connection name="t14" uri="sftp://address@hidden/"; auth="2"/>
                <Connection name="t23" uri="sftp://address@hidden/"; auth="2"/>

Much better!

For what it is worth, the way gnome handles keys and ssh connections needs some
work. This is not a g-c issue but it will trip up g-c as well as trying to
connect from a terminal.

As I would describe it, when I issue the command "ssh t16" (t16 being the name
of the target host in /etc/hosts) gnome will connect to that machine using the
appropriate IP address from /etc/hosts. In order to authenticate gnome uses my
username and then tries every key I have stored locally until it finds one
which will work.

The target host will get tired of this game after 5 or 6 bad keys and will then
give my computer the digital middle finger "too many failed attempts" or
something like that.  In order to have more than 5 keys stored locally I need
to edit the /etc/ssh/sshd.conf file on each of my target machines and change
(or add) this parameter with a number greater than the number of keys I have
stored.

# Authentication
MaxAuthTries 15

This is fine for a home network but in a corporate environment it has obvious
issues.

That is all I have to offer at the moment. Please let me know if there is
anything else I can look for to assist you.  I might also point out that there
is a g-c users mailing list. You might want to ask your questions there as well
(although I suspect that most folks subscribe to both lists as I do.)

Ken

p.s. Corresponding with a mailing list from my web mail client IS a pain. When
I replied to YOUR email to the list, the web mail client inserted the list
address as the TO. I had to go back and find your address, copy it, reply again
and paste in your address.  I need to call my kid sister who used to moderate
some mailing lists back when the Internet was the Internet - before all the Web
stuff.  I think she used pine as her email program. Perhaps she can explain
mailing lists to me. :-)

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.