gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Update of gcmd home page

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Update of gcmd home page
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:21:05 +0100

Uwe Scholz <address@hidden> schrieb am [Mo, 16.12.2013 14:39]:
> Does anyone know if a "verification" is not needed for all those
> commits? What about commits which change the source code more
> dramatically?

I found the answer to my own question... :-)

For translators of GNOME software there exists a compact Git
documentation: https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/GitHowTo

It is nowhere written that translators with a GNOME Git account have
only access to .po-files. This means, everyone with such an account can
make changes to the source code in a GNOME Git repository, there exists
no difference between translators and "normal" coders. But the
maintainer(s) is/are still responsible for the code and they can of
course change the code back again (maybe even complain about misbehavior
of someone, which is very rarely the case, I think).

This means, basically everyone with a GNOME git account can contribute
to the source code. Such an account is given to a "trusted" programmer
by the maintainer of the program (Michael already wrote this some time
ago) or by the leader of the translation teams.

We need at least one maintainer who want to spend time committing
patches (http://gcmd.github.io/dev.html#contr) and to release new GCMD
tarballs to the public.

Concerning the GNOME Git accounts: The procedure how to get one is
described in detail here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/AccountsTeam/NewAccounts

I spoke to Andrea Veri and he said in our case the "Alternative Manual
Process" is needed as there is no current maintainer. The decision of
the accounts team of GNOME in this case can take up to four weeks. I
applied for such an account some days ago. Lets see what will happen.

Ciao,
Uwe