gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Some questions about gcmd

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Some questions about gcmd
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:51:26 +0200

Hi guys,

today I was poking around in the archives of this mailing list and had
to read the sad news from Christian that Piotr has passed away. :( In
February this year I send him a mail concerning gcmd but I never got a
response, so it might be true, Christian.

Therefore, I'd have some more or less important questions.

I have to admit that I don't really have the experience with the things
I'm asking below, so hopefully someone can explain how things normally
work...

1. Since nearly tree years there has been no new release of
   gnome-commander, but I saw in the devel-mailinglist archive, that
   people have written patches for gcmd. What will happen with them, how
   do they find their way in the official source code of gcmd?

2. Concerning the future of gnome-commander: There has been the idea to
   completely rewrite the code in python. I personally doubt that this
   might be worth it. There is for example the sunflower-fm. It is
   written in python. Developers with python skill should have a look at
   it. I hope that gnome-commander will stay in C/C++, as I don't know
   python well enough.

3. Having said this, I would like to participate in developing code in
   C/C++ for gcmd, as I think it is a nice piece of software, but there
   are still things which should be improved. How can I participate? I
   never did participate in a project, but I would like to. Can someone
   give me some advice?

4. Is there some one has the ability to update the source code of
   gnome-commander and upload it to the gnome server? How does it work?

5. What will happen with the gnome-commander homepage? Does anyone has
   access to it?

Thanks for anybody answering my questions,
Uwe