gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] safe advrename

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] safe advrename
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 03:25:24 +0200

> The quick and dirty workaround here is to rename to different filename
> (like _file-02 .. _file-04) and then to skip extra char.

Yes that's what i'm doing. Like file-04 -> file-004 and then back to 2 digit
numbers. It's ok that there is a workaround at all, and its no big fuzz.

> Of course - you've got the point - there should be used some heuristics
> here, but that would not rather happen before 1.4

As i said, i was just 'thinking loudly', it's a rather rare case and any
solution is no priority.

Actually, while we are at this: gmcd could indeed just do the same workaround
'internally' if a collision is detected. Adding some extra char and then rename
in a second turn. Or, w/o heuristics, there could be a checkbox option like
'safe renaming (slow)' which would switch to that extra as a default.