gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: 1.2.9. issues

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: 1.2.9. issues
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:58:46 +0100

> Could not reproduce that advrename thing, so far, and it did not happen
> anymore anyway.
> I'm renaming a lot, so maybe I'll stumble over it again some day...
>
> As for renaming, I needed a recursive feature quite often....let me do a
> little advertising :)
>
> Because the metatags are often wrong or simply missing, i try to keep the
> most important facts in the filename, which is reliable on every OS and
> avoids complex metatag searches. But it happens that i change a naming
> system.
>
> Since i maintain well sorted image, music, and video collections, about -
> let's see - 2900 folders in total, in hierarchy, and more than 47,000 single
> files, this is not trivial. I would have to write a very reliable renaming
> script myself, and at that point, i usually use gcmd :) but it is tedious
> with so many folders.
>
> Maybe rarely anybody else sees a need for it. Still, wouldn't users more
> often consider to clean up things a little, if it only would be an easy task
> ?
> And with gcmd, it would !
>
> <end advert>

You are referring to the feature scheduled in gcmd's TODO as
'Subdirectory View' - showing contents of a given dir and all its
subdirs in one file list. It gives the possibility of mass operation
like: copy/move/rename/delete for all subdirs files...

This the one I miss too, but first things first - tabs...