gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [FIX] problem #567506 (slow startup for systems with many

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [FIX] problem #567506 (slow startup for systems with many users)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:35:32 +0100

Piotr:
> Dear gcmd users,
>
> Rev. 2478 fixes problem #567506. Apart from making startup faster on big

yes, definitely faster.
Just curious, what was the crucial resource in this case ?
Parallel memory access ? Cutting obsolete tests ?

> systems, the fix provides MUCH faster mapping uid/gid -> user/group name
> (using hash tables). As a result now gcmd should be more responsive when
> reloading or opening new dir :o))

Opening /usr/bin needs below 0.5 s now, with

~ mi: ls -1 /usr/bin | wc -l
2534

but it comes to my mind this was not correctly benchmarked, since i granted
harddisk controller and linux ext3  a warm up to scan the disk, correctly, but
not from console but from gcmd. And i guess that put stuff into memory, which
would be re-used by gnome-vfs even if i quit and restart gcmd.

So another try, with

~ mi: ls -1 /usr/share/doc | wc -l
1728

before opening this in gcmd, and guess what.
First run slightly more than 1s, second run below 0.5 seconds.

(Anyway, how could i benchmark the sole gcmd part ? Running both versions
through gdb ? Uncool...)

This tested on a standard 7200 rpm SATA drive, 3G dualchannel RAM, GeForce 7200.