gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Advrename on steroids
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:39:08 +0100

Petr:
> (My idea is that various people could publish their "profiles"
> as an "addon" on the net a just by downloading them in particular
> directory would install them to be used with gnome-commander...)

But that would require only a xml merger, i bet there's pretty much libs and
progs to do that task.
Think of mozilla bookmark import.
The imported new patterns would appear at the end or in a separate
folder...(did we talk about folders ? no ? ...^^)

Yes it's a 'all or nothing' solution, but is less complex and then, with an xml
editor you can trim down what you like to export anyway.

About storing...i still don't like the idea of storing at closing the main app.
I work with different instances, and i'm never sure what got saved and what
not...yes i know that's be fixed with tabs, but bet your ass users will find
enough reason to have multiple instances nonetheless. Workspaces, for example,
or folder specific launchers.

Plus i run kind of experimental software (totally screwed up debian
exp/unstable on f*cking unstable hardware) and i face kernel crashes about
every 2 month or so. While i admit this is not the standard case (i hope) i
just like to explain why i like a robust design. Storing immediately will
sustain even when anything crashes in the highnoon of work...
I think KDE is doing it that way, too, today, and the same goes for Yast.
Immediately would mean, after closing advrename, that'd be sufficient.
Of course, i argue the same for any other settings.

Ah i like talking ^^

(yk, with only 512 google hits, Piotr Eljasiak gets 1,300 and gnome-commander
191,000...)

                :)