gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] commandline bugs...

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] commandline bugs...
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:05:13 +0100

> I found some bugs in commandline:
> vim<shift+enter>
> appers terminal window without content but error dialog:
> "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal."
>
> Is it error from gnome-terminal or gcmd?

The problem seems to be connected with gnome-terminal. When running gcmd
with -d=g flag, it can be seen:

        [GG] running: gnome-terminal -e 'vim; /usr/bin/gcmd-block'

The

        gnome-terminal -e %s

is taken from Options|Programs, and the 'vim; /usr/bin/gcmd-block' is
constructed by gcmd itself. /usr/bin/gcmd-block is a tool for blocking
(not closing) the terminal. For some unknown reasons the solution is not
working (you can try it just running it from the console: gnome-terminal
-e 'vim; /usr/bin/gcmd-block'), although replacing gnome-terminal with
xterm is working perfectly.

I'd like to remove the whole 'gcmd-block' mess and use cleaner solution:
just let the user specify terminal and all appropriate switches. For
xterm it could be:

        xterm -hold -e %s

for gnome-terminal:

        gnome-terminal --window-with-profile="GNOME Commander" -e %s

(Unfortunately gnome-terminal does not contain option for not closing
term on exit - it is done on profile basis, so the user has to prepare
the profile itself. I'm trying to figure out how to read gnome-terminal
default profile and to store it modified as 'GNOME Commander', but that
inevitably can take a while...)

What about it? Maybe you've got better ideas...

Piotr