gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Website update.

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Website update.
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 03:57:28 +0100

Hey Magnus,

i had a look into the patched 'toocool' version, but unforttly, no change.
Still 'black on white' both in IE7 and Firefox 2.0
Which is somewhat irritating. All colors are black on white (default) no white
titles.

> What i did?
> IE-6 do not handle "position:fixed", but it do accept
> conditional comme2nts, so i did:
> <!--[if IE 6]>
> #menu {position:absolute; ....}
> <![endif]-->

I use to include additional style 'overrides' in browser fork, like (example)

 <!--[if gte IE 5.5000]>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/fixpng.js"></script>
  <![endif]-->

> I may need to adjust the condition to match IE-5 and 7 too

gte and lte ?

> And IE does not handle PNG transparency correct

Yes that was at least up to IE6 but i believe  IE7 doesn't need a png fix
anymore.
I looked it up, see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/index.htm
Anyway, attached the fixping snippet. For IE <7 it's useful.

It may ba actually 2 years since i 'surfed' with IE. And now somehow nothing
works ! wikipedia logo isn't there. http://www.csszengarden.com does not work.
And it's the same in firefox and IE -- perhaps it's just not code related but a
buggy lowlevel backend (comparable to gtk) ?

I would need a feedback from someone else, with a standard XP or Vista
installation.

I examined the issue on my XP here for at least 2 hours but couldn't the heck
find out what's up. They have a funny long list of extra options in the
internet settings (but still this micorscopic dialog window) but nothing
specifically matching the situation. OTOH saving snapshots and examining files
with µ$ board-tools is totally tedious compared to  my linux desktop with fully
equipped firefox, and especially w/o Samba yet.
Did you know saving a complete webpage will not find image link in css ? they
will be missing.
I split the background style into separate elements and still not even the
simple color# was recognized.

I think in any case it's sufficient if it looks cool for linux users.
That is, until the Gnome -> Windows port is ready ;)