gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd website

From: Antono Vasiljev
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd website
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 02:05:03 +0200

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 04:10 +0100, Magnus Stålnacke wrote:

> > Do anybody wants to change design of website?
>
> I have had some thoughts about that.
> The site has looked the same since early 2004.
> (i have been doing the homepage for the project
> since 2002, when gcmd had its home at sourceforge)

Kudos!

> We would actually need a new home, the webhost at
> Savannah is downright crappy, almost nothing is
> supported, no cgi what so ever, and that makes
> any automation impossible.

I think it could be done with static site generators
like webgen or something similar. But hosting with
cgi/fcgi support is much better :)

> Too bad that Gnome only host the source-tree, it
> would have been nice with a gnome.org url.

Yep.. I like it too.

> > I can create someting like this:
> > http://www.incollector.devnull.pl/

> Well, i have also a weak spot for dark websites,
> but i do recognize that many people dislike them
> from a usability standpoint because dark text on
> a light background works much better in different
> light conditions - like a laptop when the sun shines.

You are right.

> I have not put that much work into this current
> design, it is quite simple and can easily be changed
> into something very different without touching the
> code, just altering the stylesheet. But i have
> "worked" on it for quite some time now, and since
> it is simple and i am really used to it, it is easy
> to maintain since everything must be done manually
> and committed to the savannah cvs.

:) Great xhtml + css is great solution for this site.
I only speak about layout, impression, visual part of this.

> It would have been nice with a lightweight CMS or
> something wiki-like, that could have resulted in
> a more living website. But hey.. this is a program
> project, not a website project or some kind of
> community. I think this mailing-list is much more
> important than any website this project ever could have.

You are right, list is very very important. But i think website
is important too. It is start point where new people (or gcmd users)
getting info and firs impression about the project :) So impression
could be better with new shiny design.

> I may upload a different styleshhet, just to try
> something else, but do not expect it this week..

Great :)

I'll try to make some plain xhtml + css pages as next point for our
thread. Is it ok?

--
Antono Vasiljev
http://antono.info