gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd website

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd website
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:10:16 +0100

Antono Vasiljev wrote:

Do anybody wants to change design of website?

I have had some thoughts about that.
The site has looked the same since early 2004.
(i have been doing the homepage for the project
since 2002, when gcmd had its home at sourceforge)

We would actually need a new home, the webhost at
Savannah is downright crappy, allmost nothing is
supported, no cgi what so ever, and that makes
any automation impossible.

Too bad that Gnome only host the source-tree, it
would have been nice with a gnome.org url.

I can create someting like this:
http://www.incollector.devnull.pl/

Well, i have also a weak spot for dark websites,
but i do recognize that many people dislike them
from a usability standpoint because dark text on
a light background works much better in different
light conditions - like a laptop when the sun shines.

I have not put that much work into this current
design, it is quite simple and can easily be changed
into something very different without touching the
code, just altering the stylesheet. But i have
"worked" on it for quite some time now, and since
it is simple and i am really used to it, it is easy
to maintain since everything must be done manually
and committed to the savannah cvs.

It would have been nice with a lightweight CMS or
something wiki-like, that could have resulted in
a more living website. But hey.. this is a program
project, not a website project or some kind of
community. I think this mailing-list is much more
important than any website this project ever could have.

I may upload a different styleshhet, just to try
something else, but do not expect it this week..