gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:24:59 +0200

Michael wrote:
@Magnus,

Looks like the script introduces some new (?) dependency:

/tmp mi: gnomevfs-info
-bash: gnomevfs-info: command not found

It uses gnomevfs-info to report the same mimetypes
as gnome does. The command "file" does not. I have
not been able to find another sane way to do this.

But i wont really agree that it is a new dependency
out of two reasons. The first is that the script is
not part of gcmd, the other reason is.. see below

/ r: apt-file search "gnomevfs-info"
libgnomevfs2-bin: usr/bin/gnomevfs-info

Looks like libgnomevfs2-bin just was not required by gcmd until now !
(Not running a full gnome session)

Here we go again. I think you should bark at your distro.
Do it loudly.

The gnomevfs-info is a part of gnome-vfs and nothing
else. There are no gnome projects named libgnomevfs2!
Look here if you do not belive me:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/

This is once again a problem you get by your distros
tampering and splitting of the authors code into
lib, dev and good knows what.

I think without explanation it's hard to underfstand what will happen if i
check a radiobutton.
How about short explanation in the help text ?

Yes, this script is a very young experiment, so there
is much that could be improved. I do not even think
this script should have been needed in the first place.

Well anyway. If you have suggestions, please feel free to
post them here or in a private mail.