gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:29:45 +0200

@Piotr,

We really need this knob because gnome could re-introduce the original
file-type-properties anytime. What will gcmd do when we remove a custom
definition some day ? Use the default again ? I can't test it by now (still the
compilte trouble and few time.) but i'll have a look ASAP.

@Magnus,

Looks like the script introduces some new (?) dependency:

/tmp mi: gnomevfs-info
-bash: gnomevfs-info: command not found

/ r: apt-file search "gnomevfs-info"
libgnomevfs2-bin: usr/bin/gnomevfs-info

Looks like libgnomevfs2-bin just was not required by gcmd until now !
(Not running a full gnome session)

btw. already installed were
libgnomevfs2-0  1:2.18.1-3
libgnomevfs2-common     1:2.18.1-3
libgnomevfs2-dev        1:2.18.1-3
libgnomevfs2-extra      1:2.18.1-3
gnome-vfs-extfs 1.0.5-5.3
libgnome-vfs-common     1.0.5-5.3+b1
libgnome-vfs-dev        1.0.5-5.3+b1
libgnome-vfs0   1.0.5-5.3+b1

I think without explanation it's hard to underfstand what will happen if i
check a radiobutton.
How about short explanation in the help text ?

I also tried your suggestion to rename (or symlink) the script to
gnome-file-type-properties and place it into user path, but yet i can't launch
it via gcmd. I hope this was the right entry: Right click context menu ->
properties -> change ? It doesn't launch zenity and produces this error in the
logs:
"sh: gnome-file-types-properties: command not found" Yet i can launch this
script via user shell !
So it looks like on Debian, gcmd uses a restricted PATH somehow.
I generally don't place custom shell scripts into /usr/local/bin, but instead
into /opt/TOOLS/ which of course is in the users PATH. As for this
installation, PATHes are set in .profile which might not be sourced by a
nonlogin shell. Indeed, i already missed my shell aliases in the gcmd
commandline which indicates a restriction.  The .alias file is sourced by
.bashrc, and setting the PATH to the mimeedit script in this location would not
fix it either (tested.)
But finally this all should be oboslete if the program option works.