gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Ruby plugins

From: Antono Vasiljev
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Ruby plugins
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:38:53 +0300

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 23:11 +0200, Piotr Eljasiak wrote:

> > def main(main_wnd_xid, active_cwd, inactive_cwd, selected_files):
> >
> > I wonder what means every parameter. who pass them to the main
> > method/function? Can they be predefined? Is there any standard on naming
> > of the main method? Please say some words about information which can be
> > taken from gcmd to feed my plugin.
>
> main() is a function, and it has no special meaning in python - for gcmd
> it serves as an entry point for every python plugin (so for gcmd main()
> is predefined). When gcmd launches pyplugin, in fact it calls main()
> function in it. The parameters have predefined (for gcmd) names and
> contain values passed from gcmd:
>
>         main_wnd_xid  XID of GNOME Commander main toplevel window
>         active_cwd    full path of current dir of active pane
>         inactive_cwd  full path of current dir of inactive pane
>         selected_files        list of selected file uris in active pane
>
> You can see the values passed to pyplugin when starting gcmd in console
> with -d=p parameter. Here goes my log for md5sum:
>
>         [PP] Calling md5sum.main()
>         [PP] Selected files: 2
>         [PP] Main window XID: 56623336 (0x36000e8)
>         [PP] Active directory:   /home/piotr/download/Szkocja
>         [PP] Inactive directory: /home/piotr/devel/EAL
>         [PP] Result of call md5sum.main(): 1

Wow! It's much more clear for me now. One thing wich i want to
understand is XID. Where it can be used?

It will be nice to have one module for all ruby plugins and every plugin
will be a ruby class with predefined singleton method(like main in
python). It will be more nice then chunks of ruby code. Module methods
can be reused in different classes-plugins. It will be more
object-oriented then to create every time top level methods of Object
class.

Ok. I think it's time to write some strings of pure ruby code! :))

Thank you for your explanations!

--
Amike, Antono Vasiljev.

http://antono.info