gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: volume label

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: volume label
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:07:07 +0200

> 2. performance killer

That's actually not easy to figure.
When i run a 'du' on large directory trees, only the first run
actually reads the disk physically. Further operations just use
the cached list. I don't know if either harddisks cache inode
tables or kernel drivers cache file lists or both.

Another thing is working on a large external USB-2.0 drive
still is extremely slow, compared to SATA.
gcmd should provide a way to disable performance killers on
specific drives, like USB or remote ones.

I consider updating the GUI a real performance killer, even with a fast
graphic card, maybe just because gtk-2 simply is that slow.