gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Cleaning the source tree

From: Bruno Dusausoy
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Cleaning the source tree
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:22:41 +0200

Hi all,

It's been a while since I discovered this - well, since the beginning ;)
- and I didn't care about it but it annoys me now.

When you download the sources from SVN repository, compiles GNOME
Commander and then do a "make distclean", it sure does clean the tree,
removing all generated stuff but it leaves some modified files and this
is baaaaad ;)

After a cleaning of the source tree, a "svn diff" *should* not show
anything. It's a normal behaviour since the source tree should logically
be strictly equal to the SVN tree. However, this is not the case with
this project !

Check this out :

$ svn checkout svn://svn.gnome.org/svn/gnome-commander/branches/gcmd-1-3
[...]
$ cd gcmd-1.3
$ ./autogen.sh
[...]
$ make -j 5 CFLAGS="-g" CXXFLAGS="-g"
[...]
$ make distclean
$ svn diff|wc -l
311

So, even after a complete cleaning of the source tree, we still have
differences between working copy and latest svn revision !

Worse ! We still have differences *after* an update !!!

$ svn update
Restored 'gnome-doc-utils.make'
Restored 'README'
At revision 824.

$ svn diff|wc -l
311

It is clear that it does affect the patches done with a "svn diff
> ../patch" command.

So, is it possible to change the source tree in order to have a normal
behavior ?

Thanks.
--
Bruno Dusausoy <address@hidden>