gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Python plugins

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Python plugins
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 00:16:22 +0100

> > That's strange - [PP] values are printed from inside of gcmd...

I've got it now - for some reasons gcmd presents mounted volumes as
'/' (root) dir. You can check it with any USB device or cdrom. py-plugin
gets it from gcmd and thus '/' instead of '/tmp'. This is definitely a
bug, but not in py-plugin area.

> > My candidates are:
> >
> >         ~/.gnome-commander/plugins
> >         /usr/lib64/gnome-commander/plugins
>
> oh, you're focusing straightway on the next generation ;)

The Next Generation (TNG) will
be /usr/lib128/gnome-commander/plugins ;o)

> > just in that order of path searching, where plugins will be placed in
> > their own subdirs. Those subdir names will be added to user/context menu
> > as plugins' names. What about it?
>
> One thing important about plugins and any menu in general is, they
> should be as quickly available as possible. An additional hierarchy level
> would be a bad idea, for example menu -> usr-lib64-plugins -> sample.plug
> is tedious. If you think however more of something like menu ->
> usr-lib64-sample.plug
> that would work but it's still ugly. Look, users can rename their custom
> installed plugs
> freely, and in the long run it should be possible even to check the 'default'
> ones
> (show / not show) so the problem would become obsolete.

Sorry for being imprecise - I haven't meant giving users the whole path
to plugin. Let's suppose we
get /usr/lib64/gnome-commander/plugins/create_md5_sum.py

So context menu should contain only 'create md5 sum' entry. IMHO it's simple
and flexible

> ... and in the long run it should be possible even to check the 'default'
> ones
>  (show / not show) so the problem would become obsolete.

Currently it is not possible :o( I've designed VERY simplified API. In
fact our py-plugins are not real plugin, but merely a function call. If
we wanted a fully fledged python plugins, we'd have to use and define
plugins object, what's complicated a bit more than we need. Have a look
at gedit plugins:
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gedit/plugins/snippets/snippets/Snippet.py?view=markup